Description

I'm running into the sun but I'm...

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Wait.  Let's stop and rewind: 

Okay. It was never easy for me.  I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Not that far.

I took up running in the Spring of 2010.  I had regularly been walking about 2 miles on an average of 4 to 5 times per week.  So, when the running bug hit, I thought it would be easy!  My first run was about 1/8 mile and I was completely out of breath.  I just decided I would plug away at it and go a little further each time.  By August (with the help of my daughter) I ran my first 2 mile race.  

About this same time, my hometown announced that they would be holding their first ever marathon during the summer of 2012.  It was a nagging thought - could I really do it?

Over the next 1 1/2 years, reality set in.  I could not run a marathon but MAYBE I could do a 1/2 Marathon!  So, just after the first of the year in 2012, I signed up.  I knew that paying the money would keep me accountable.  

I found a 12 week Couch to Half Marathon training guide online and decided to extend it to about 24 weeks.  I basically doubled each week's long run.

More on my training soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment